Did you know that moving ranks third on the most demanding and tasking life events? Relocating to a new place takes time, effort, and planning. However, moving presents you with the opportunity of a fresh start, a new neighborhood, and the chance to plunge into your long-term goals. If you’re considering relocating but do not want a stress-filled move, these moving tips and tricks will come in handy.
Start on Time: Getting Prepared
To get the best for your move, start planning early. We recommend you start getting prepared two to three months before relocating so as not to face any risk of incurring losses. When relocating, there are various things you will need to organize before even packing to help you make an easier move.
You will need to call your utility company to notify them of a move. After this, figure out your budget as moving is quite expensive. Then, create a list of supplies you will need to pack your belongings. The last step to getting prepared will be to find a professional, reliable, and service-oriented moving company. Local moving is most cost-effective and affordable than hiring a moving van.
Organize Your Belongings While Decluttering
One moving hack and tip you do not want to forget is properly organizing your belongings while tossing out, recycling, or donating personal belongings you no longer need instead of lugging them. This process will make it easy for you as you will be moving lesser items to your new living space.
To declutter your closet as you pack, do a wardrobe purge. Organize items according to their use, flexibility, and durability. If the item is out of style and no longer fits, get rid of it. If you do not know what items to declutter, ask yourself whether you have any need for them, or if after tossing it out, you will need to spend money on a new one. If you have a negative answer to these questions, you can move on to toss it out.
If you do not fancy the idea of throwing away belongings, then schedule a donation pick-up for charity. On the other hand, if there are items you can’t do away with and would need for future purposes, you may want to consider a short-term storage unit. But, make sure to draw a budget for this plan.
Get Creative and Save Money
Aside from being stressful, moving can be pretty expensive. However, there are some ways you can save money while making your move. First, get quotes from more than three local movers. This will help you get the best price that will match your budget. In most cases, you may even find movers will offer some discount just to get a great review from you.
Aside this, check for affordable and cheap packing supplies like free moving boxes that will save you some money from local retailers. Also, travel on a festive-free day as it will lower the cost of relocating.
When planning to relocate, packing your belongings takes is the most demanding process because you will have to start organizing your items of belonging according to their value and use. The bright side is that there are ways you can cut corners to save you time and stress while still keeping personal belongings safe. Want to skillfully pack your belongings? These packing and moving advice will do the trick.
- Secure items in your drawers into plastic wrap. Then label them to know what the bags contain.
- Leave clothes on the hanger as they are and get a wardrobe box or garbage bags to wrap them up. Do not forget to label the compartment.
- Keep your breakable items like glasses safe using towels and linens as a cushioning while padding your breakable belongings with socks for added safety. Items like lamps and vases that are a bit fragile should be secured with a dish towel and put in the storage unit.
- Box up small kitchen items like pots, plates, knives, and spoons together to save space.
- For things that may spill like shampoo, liquid soap, vegetable oil, and many others, use plastic wrap on them before boxing.
- Pack heavy items like serving dishes and books inside a suitcase. The wheels on them make it easier to push.
- Use post-it-notes on different boxes with different colors to differentiate home supplies inside each.
- Take a photo of each box’s contents to give you a general idea and help jog your memory when unpacking.
- Take a picture of your furniture and appliances before and during dismantling as it helps you remember how to set it up.
- Box important items like medications, toiletries, documents, clothes, and many others you may need in a suitcase.
- Pack your bed in a foam pouch to keep it safe.
Boxing Your Arts
If you own any artistic paintings or crafts and are thinking of moving it to your new home, then you would want to ask the moving company for any available special crating to box your art. The reason is that art can easily get damaged and you would want to keep it as safe as possible.
When boxing your art, one thing you need to put in mind is that the way you wrap them will determine how safe they are. For instance, wrapping oil paintings in ordinary paper does not bode well for your craft as the painting will stick to the paper. Instead, use a masking tape on the glass to hold it in place in case it breaks. Then wrap the artwork in a bubble wrap and package them using a frame box. Make sure to place a cardboard paper between the pictures for added protection.
Last Minute Moving Day Preparation
Even after planning and preparing for months, things may not end up as planned. Hence, it is important to carry out a last-minute checkup before relocating. For last-minute plans, discuss logistics with the moving company to know how long the move will take.
Relocating can be stressful and time-consuming, and these factors can discourage people from making a move. The good news you can make this process a fun activity with the right preparation and planning. Whether you are considering an interstate or intrastate move, these tips on moving will help make the process easy.